2013 Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial Ohio National Park NP Quarters
The obverse will continue to bear the familiar restored 1932 John Flannagan image of George Washington.
The reverse side depicts the statue of Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry with the Peace Memorial located in the distance. The memorial is one of the tallest of its kind in the U.S. Inscriptions are PERRY’S VICTORY, OHIO, 2013 and E PLURIBUS UNUM. This memorial site in Ohio was established to honor those who fought in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812 and to celebrate the long-lasting peace among Britain, Canada and the U.S. The memorial, a Doric column rising 352 feet over Lake Erie, is situated five miles from the longest undefended border in the world. The memorial bears the name of Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry. Six naval officers (three American and three British) slain during the battle are buried under its rotunda. It was first established as a national site on March 3, 1919.